WARNING: long-winded!
Ok. So I am incredibly embarrassed that this post is inspired by "The Bachelorette." I've never really been into that whole series. This time around, I watched the first episode and I was HOOKED! And from the first 10 minutes, I knew who I wanted her to choose in the end. I watched this show religiously (DVR and everything) through the entire process, promising myself that when/if he (the guy I liked) was eliminated, I'd stop watching. To my total surprise, he made it to the finale as the final 2. BUT... she didn't pick him. I was shocked. I really was. And here's why:
Yeah, so he was divorced and he had a 3-year-old son. And while divorce isn't the greatest trait in a potential mate, it wasn't something he had chosen. His ex had decided to fall in love with someone else and leave her son behind. So this man was raising this little boy entirely on his own. Throughout the show, as all the other men drove me nuts with their testosterone-driven aggressiveness and jealous competitiveness, the one I liked, this divorcee', was always the gentleman, always kind - even to the other men - and always, ALWAYS smiling. I adored him for her. Heck, I adored him for anyone.
But I am not writing this to give a summary of the show or to be the founding president of his fan club. I want to discuss something that drives me NUTS about women and their ideals of what love is.
Before I met David, every guy I got seriously involved with I thought I was "in love" with. I have said, since then, that I was never truly in love. And I say that because of some very important elements: safety, security, & selflessness.
Not passion. Not drama. Not fireworks, walks on the beach, or candlelit dinners. On the show, she chose the guy that surprised her. She chose the "man" (I put quotes because he seemed a lot like a teenager to me) that changed the rules of everything she thought she'd ever wanted. The reason this bothers me is because when she turned down my choice, she told him she knew she'd have happiness, safety, & security with him, but that she was "in love" with someone else. Yeah, yeah, I know. It's important to be "in love." But anyone who watched that show canNOT deny she didn't have major feelings for both of them. She just wanted to be with the "exciting" one. Bah.
Let me tell you something, ladies... you with your fantasies of what love is about. Stop watching these stupid movies where these lame-oid guys win women over by constantly messing up and then making out, but keeping the girl because of their whimsical and fancy-free ways. We are looking for companions here; not sons to raise.
In Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis writes in a chapter called, "Christian Marriage." (I recommend that chapter to anyone who ever has been, is currently, or intends to, ever be married, i.e., everyone!). And he talks about the unhealthy notion of planning on being "passionately in love" for all of your life. I have so much to say about it. But I can't word it as good as he can, so I'll just quote him and say "ditto." (Bolds and italics added 'cause I wanted to):
"What we call 'being in love' is a glorious state, and, in several ways, good for us. It helps to make us generous and courageous, it opens our eyes not only to the beauty of the beloved but to all beauty... No one in his senses would deny that being in love is far better than either common sensuality or cold self-centredness. But, as I said before, 'the most dangerous thing you can do is to take any one impulse of our own nature and set it up as the thing you ought to follow at all costs'. Being in love is a good thing, but it is not the best thing... You cannot make it the basis of a whole life. It is a noble feeling, but it is still a feeling. Now no feeling can be relied on to last in its full intensity, or even to last at all. Knowledge can last, principles can last, habits can last; but feelings come and go. And in fact, whatever people say, the state called 'being in love' usually does not last. If the old fairy-tale ending 'They lived happily ever after' is taken to mean 'They felt for the next fifty years exactly as they felt the day before they were married,' then it says what probably never was nor ever would be true, and would be highly undesirable if it were. Who could bear to live in that excitement for even five years? What would become of your work, your appetite, your sleep, your friendships? But, of course, ceasing to be 'in love' need not mean ceasing to love. Love in this second sense... is a deep unity, maintained by the will and deliberately strengthened by habit... They can have this love for each other even at those moments when they do not like each other; as you love yourself even when you do not like yourself. They can retain this love even when each would easily, if they allowed themselves, be 'in love' with someone else. 'Being in love' first moved them to promise fidelity: this quieter love enables them to keep the promise. It is on this love that the engine of marriage is run: being in love was the explosion that started it."
So, you MUST read the whole chapter because he goes on with such logic but spiritual insight all at the same time.
My point is this. I had my fair share of silly little romantic flings that were filled with such strong infatuation and drama that I was convinced, EACH TIME, that I was meant to be with that person - that we were soul mates. And then I met David. Kind, secure, priesthood-worthy David. And I never would have guessed, in those first few months, that I would marry him. And then I grew up. I realized that marriage was going to be more than "YAY! Every day with you is so fun and awesome!" (Imagine that last sentence in your best ignorant, naive', valley-girl voice). I knew he would cherish me and take care of me for all eternity... even when we were old and ugly.... and I'd say fat, but been there done that, and he's still here... so....
So, I say security is underrated. There was a time when people's marriages were arranged on the good intentions and insight of their parents. And although, I thank the heavens ABOVE that I live in a time where I am free to choose someone I love and cherish on my own will... I don't forget that the divorce rate was much lower in those ancient times. There was something to the concept that, "for better or for worse," you stick by someone... even when/if the passion dies.
That is why God intended for us to be married. He wanted us to learn to be better people for it. To learn to love, even in the ugly times. To choose wisely and not on a whim driven by lusts... but by real love. Charitable, unconditional, long-lasting love. The quiet kind.
The kind the stupid entertainment industry still needs to make a movie about...
P.S. After reading this to David, he said it makes us sound like we have no passion in our lives at all. That is not the case. I say, "That's none of ya'll's bid-ness..."
19 comments:
Amen, sista.
Thanks. That was an awesome post! I'm definitely checking into this CS Lewis guy... hehe :)
Great post, Tiffy! I love what you wrote, and I love that quote from Mere Christianity. That's so true!! It's such an uplifting and eye-opening way to look at love and marriage (REAL love, not movie/TV "love"). :-)
SO TRUE. SO SO TRUE. There is something to be said to being true friends with the person you marry... because as the passion comes and goes, being able to laugh and love and just enjoy being with the person is immensely underrated. As is the quiet commitment to keep things going no matter what.
AMEN!
Hey Tiff. I agree that she chose the wrong guy. I, too, watched this season religiously. I was disappointed. You make some really great points here. Thanks for sharing.
Tiff, I totally agree. I, too, watched this season of the Batchelorette religiously. She definitely chose the wrong guy. You make some great points here. Thanks for sharing.
Wow. This is what I've been thinking about for the last two years or so...even longer than that, I'm sure. It makes me remember moments during my engagement that were so clear, but that someone chose to ignore in favor of something different. The fairy tale would be nice, but like Giselle realizes in "Enchanted" (silly, but a good metaphor), there's no substance to it. I crave substance. I know that I'll find it, that there is a man out there looking for a good, stable (mostly) woman like me. Maybe I should keep my hair long, start wearing long flowing dresses, and sing in Central Park. ;) Seriously, though, your perspective means so much to me. I'm glad we're friends.
I couldn't agree more. The other stuff is exciting for a moment, but it's the real stuff that lasts and makes everything worth it. It's the real stuff that's strong enough to get through life.
TOTALLY!!! I was livid, LIVID when Mr. Daddy got out of the limo first. Grrrr.....
That was awesome Tiffany. I've had thoughts along these lines for a while, but never articulated them clearly into a post. And thanks for the C.S. Lewis quote. I'll have to break out my dusty copy and check out the whole chapter.
Thanks Tiff, needed to hear that.
SO true! Great post!
AND I just read Jean's post about your performance last night!!! GO YOU! CONGRATS!!!! Can't wait for August 20th!
And cute pictures! Love the green shirt with the "Green Babies Rule". :) Isn't your ultrasound coming up soon??
Great post Tiffany!! You made so many great points. That CS Lewis quote is amazing too. I'll have to check out that chapter!
Thanks for sharing your insight with us. I always learn so much from you :)
Tiffany -
There is so much new stuff on your blog - i need to catch up! Loved the pics with you guys and the Anderson's - how fun! Thanks for the encouragement about finding a job, I really hope something works out.
So guess what I just realized... I'm going to be in PA for the finals on August 20th!! Oh well, I'm sure you'll just shine. :-) I will, however, be seriously bugging you the next day for an update.
Sorry, this comment is totally unrelated to your post, but I still stand by my earlier, relevant comment. ;-)
Tiffany? I'm Rae, Abby's little sister--I commented on a post way back, but didn't know if you were freaked out by my reading your blog or not, so I stopped. Until now, when I got the itch to read your AWESOME empowering words (I so love your blog.) and read that post. And holy crap, do I agree....you articulated so well something that I feel so deeply, and I'm grateful for it!! Oh, and as for The Bachelorette--I'm on the same page with you. That silly, silly girl. I thought he was the best guy by far! But anyway, if you don't want me to read your blog, please let me know or let Abby know!! I know you've met me and we've talked and (I assume) enjoyed one another's company, but I know it can be oddly different in Blogworld. camerae at gmail dotcom
Hi, Tiffany:
You don't know me, but we both performed at the Playmill and we know the same people. I'm also good friends with one of your cousins, Amber Blake Rainwater.
I check out your blog from time to time, and I really enjoyed this post. You hit the proverbial nail on the head, and I agree with everything you had to say.
Would it be okay if I created a link from your post to my blog? I have a few single and dreaming friends who need to read what you wrote!
Have a good day!
~ Terrah Conrad Harper :)
You've put into words just how I feel about marriage, too. I loved the C.S. Lewis quote, too. I will definitely have to check that out!
As for the Bachelorette, I got hooked on this season, too! And I totally agree she picked the wrong guy. She was such a great gal, too, she deserved a guy as good as Jason. Oh well. We'll hope for the best with her and Jesse!
Hi, a friend sent me a link to this post and I hope you don't mind me reading. I love what you said and it reminded me of something from one of my favorite books. At the risk of sounding like a blog stalker I have the quote on my blog if you want to read it. :)
http://thadenpierce.org/2008/love-stability-zenzele/
I'll have to go read the C.S. Lewis one again!
Post a Comment