Ok - so I've been thinking about this for a good few months now, and I just have to get it off my chest.
Malia was an unplanned c-section. When I went into the hospital, I though my water had broken. It hadn't, but my OB was on-call that night, and it was my due date, so they decided to break my water for me. This sent me immediately into labor. A very painful, long, and difficult labor. Okay, so maybe 18 hours isn't that long... as I've heard of longer... but, trust me. When a person is having contractions that are so long and so painful that even the nurses watch the screen monitoring the contractions in disbelief, then 18 hours is long.
During that time, I felt like a puppet because I was attached to so many things with cords. I had a catheter as well as a blood pressure gauge. I also had an epidural (I tried to hold out - but again, I was having contractions that were 8+ minutes long and off the charts in strength). I had an IV (that's 4 cords and counting). PLUS - because my contractions were so severe, and we later learned that Malia's foot was lodged in my rib so she wasn't descending. at. all. - I had to constantly wear an oxygen mask and she had to have the internal fetal monitor (the kind that goes into the mommy with a needle in the baby's head for more accurate readings).
Throughout my labor, Malia's heart rate would drop from a normal 150-ish BPM to about 55 BPM in a matter of seconds. This happened dozens of times. Let me tell you - there is nothing as terrifying as slowly drifting off to sleep to a steady beeping only to wake in a panic as you hear it rapidly slow and a nurse comes in, frantically, shifting your heavy body every which way she can, in hopes to pick the rate back up.
Long story short, after pushing for 45 minutes and the doctor using forceps (which is a nightmare for me... my skull was fractured at my birth by forceps), the doctor finally threw up his hands and had me sign the release for surgery because her heart rate was just not doing well.
After all of this, I had truly hoped to have a VBAC. This 2nd pregnancy, I was all ready to do it the way "God meant for us women." Now - had I lived in pioneer days, neither I nor Malia would probably even be alive. So, don't get me wrong, I am grateful it eventually worked out and that we have the technology to make miracles happen. But I really wanted to do this "right." I've had so many friends not only tell me about the miracle of giving birth, not to mention, naturally, and I've so envied that experience.
But when I went to my first visit with my OB for this pregnancy, she told me that she stopped doing VBACs 3 years ago when a patient's uterus rupturing all but almost killed her and the baby. They are a risky thing due to how fragile the uterus becomes once an incision has been made. Even one contraction in following pregnancies can cause a disaster. We spoke for a good 1/2 an hour and decided, due to the odd events surrounding Malia's birth and the unknown cause of it all, that it was best for me to have another c-section.
This breaks my heart.
I can't really explain it to anyone who doesn't know how this feels. Admittedly, and somewhat ashamedly... it hurts my pride. I feel less... "woman." I break down every time I read amazing birthing stories by friends and strangers alike. I didn't get to experience holding my child immediately. In fact, as they were stitching me up, David brought her over for maybe 30 seconds. That was my first glimpse. I was so numb, however, I couldn't lift my arm to touch her, even. And then I didn't see her for 2 whole hours. On top of that, I was pretty much forbidden from picking her up which meant, if I wanted to hold my own child, I had to have someone else retrieve her for me.
I'm not sharing this in a desire to attract sympathy or pity. I just need to let it out that I'm a little sad about it. I'm so excited to have this baby. And I am so very sure I will love her as much as I love my little Malia (which - after the surgery, I did fear we had lost some bonding time... I know now, that's impossible). But there is a part of me that feels like I am missing part of what makes a woman a woman. That strength that comes from saying "I survived giving birth!" I can't really claim that.
I tried.
God knows I really tried.
And even though, logically, I know it's not the case... I feel like I failed. I know. I know. It was something that couldn't be helped. But there's a little voice in my head that occasionally reminds me that so many women have gone through worse and still done it "the right way." Why couldn't I?
But now I won't get the chance to redeem myself as a true "woman" because it's too much of a risk.
And I just had to share, because it hurts my heart a little.
But I know I'll love her, so once it's all said and done and I'm stitched back up and the staples are out and 2 weeks of "forbidden-to-pick-up-my-child" have passed, I'll get over it.
But again... for now... it just sucks a little. And I just had to share.
10 comments:
"But there is a part of me that feels like I am missing part of what makes a woman a woman. That strength that comes from saying 'I survived giving birth!' I can't really claim that." Yes, you can. You survived giving birth, and for you, that was a tense, scary, excruciatingly painful experience! You did the best with what was given you, and that not only makes you a woman, but it makes you a STRONG woman. I think that while there are wonderful benefits to giving birth "the right way", I also believe there is no ONE "right" way to give birth. Each body is different...each baby, each birth....how on EARTH would ONE set way be THE way to give birth? What I'm saying (in a gigantic paragraph that is more the size of a mini-email) is that I'm trying to shush that internal voice that's telling you that you did it "wrong". You have your health and your baby's health in mind, and that's what matters most. Well done, you. You survived giving birth, and you're going to survive it again.
Aww Tiffy! It is really bummy that you'll have to have another C-section, especially given the difficult recovery and extra-long hospital stay and everything. But y'know what?? You're NO LESS of a woman or baby-deliverer than any other woman who's given birth; in fact, you've had it harder than most other moms because you basically experienced a standard AND C-section delivery. That's seriously rough.
I wish you'd been able to see Malia longer when she was born, but now that you know how the procedure goes, maybe you can request to have her with you longer before they take her away? Or ask Dave if he's allowed to keep her near you longer, while they're stitching you up? It seems really bad that they would give you such little time with her. That's not fair, especially after all you went through.
I hope it's better this time around... at least no pushing in the beginning, right? Your feelings are totally normal, but just remember - you are AMAZING!!! You are creating a new human being, a beautiful little girl, as we speak, and no matter how she comes into the world, you worked darn hard to bring her there, and you will always be her mommy and the most special person in her life. :-) Yaaaaaay!!!
Tiffany,
Thank you sooo much for being willing to share this most difficult challenge with us!! I learn so much from you!!
I thought what I went through delivering Andrew was tough, but wow, what what you went through was incredibly difficult!! There is NO DOUBT that you are as about as "Real Woman" as they come!!!!!! Your little girls are very, very lucky.
Amen to the comments above!! You DID survive giving birth, and having a c-section doesn't decrease your womanhood or femininity. You have an amazing daughter and will have another, and the whole point of birth is to bring them into this world, one way or another. You're bringing LIFE. It's sacred no matter where that baby emerges from.
That said, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'd probably feel the same way. You expected and hoped for a different outcome! It's natural to be disappointed or to "mourn" the loss of your "ideal" delivery. But just because you deliver babies via C-section doesn't diminish your value or your body. Modern medicine is a blessing. And while I wholly support women who choose to birth naturally or at home or whatever, I wholly support women who take advantage of the blessing of modern medicine as well. Some of us wouldn't be around otherwise!
Also... I do have two friends that had deliveries almost identical to yours, and both had successful VBACs. I totally understand if you've made up your mind on that, and obviously it's your decision, but I just wanted to throw that out there in case you wanted to seek a second OB's opinion.
Oh Tiffany! I'm so sorry for the hard decisions you have had to make recently. The whole labor thing can create so many tricky situations :( I wish i had a good OB to recommend out there in Cali that would support you in a VBAC. In my time as a L/D nurse, I've learned a lot about VBAC's and I really think that more OB's should support them. No matter what, Mrs. Tiff, I hope that you have an easier experience with this labor than you did with the last!
I have not yet had children, but I am grateful for C-sections because you and Malia are alive. Tell natural birth to shove it because I'd rather have Tiffany and her daughter in the world.
Amen, amen to above comments. You are amazing, Tif. I can't even imagine how hard that would be. But I'm so grateful that you and Malia are okay. Praises for modern medicine!
Just remember you ARE an INCREDIBLE WOMAN!!
All I have to say is, either way, C-section or vaginal birth, boy I'm glad I'm a boy.
I can understand how disappointing that must feel, even though I didn't have a C-section. I tell Travis all the time that I will be absolutely crushed if I have to have a C-section.
But here is where you are awesome. The main reason I don't want to have a C-section is because to me that is WAY scarier than giving birth naturally! I would be totally freaked out to be laid out on a table with my abdomen open while I'M STILL AWAKE! So...that being said...I TOTALLY admire women who have C-sections because of how brave they had to be!
Hey Tiff,
I don't know if you remember me from the BYU ward but I saw this and just had to comment.
I had my twin boys planned c-section and it wasn't a great experience but it was fine. I planned a VBAC with my daugher but because the VBAC climate is so bad (and falseley so) I didn't have one.
I cried a ton for months after my daughter was born because I felt like it was all wrong. I felt like I hadn't experienced birth, and in a way I felt like I wasn't a real woman. Yes, I still felt blessed and happy to have a baby, but a healthy baby is not ALL that matters, the mother maters, the emotional experience matters.
So let yourself mourn if you need to, don't feel guilty about that. don't feel guilty that you are planning a repeat c-section. It's not your fault, it's the bad VBAC climate.
I don't know how far along you are, and I understand that you've already made up your mind, but, like Liz, I would suggest you get a second opinion on the VBAC. Despite what your doctor says, there are risks to both VBAC AND repeat C-section. In fact, c-sections are less safe for mother and baby in most cases. Case in point, my baby spent five days in the NICU because she aspirated and had pulmonay hypertension, which are risks of a c-section, especially a scheduled one.
I'm not trying to scare you or make you feel guilty, but I beg you to check out the ICAN sight:
http://www.ican-online.org/
or a VBAC sight:
http://www.vbac.com/
Also, I highly recommend the book Pushed by Jennifer Block or Born in the USA by Mardsen Wagner.
I am not against neccesary cesarean birth but I am against doctors who claim that VBAC is not safe and c-sections are when that is simply not the case.
Depending on where you live, you may not even be able to find a provider who will do VBAC, which is such a shame in my view. What little choice do women have when we can't even choose how we want to give birth?
I'm sorry, I hope I haven't offeneded or butted in. I want to offer sympathy--I totally know how you feel. I know what it's like to hear someone's husband telling how amazing it was to see their wife push the baby out and all I want to do is runaway and cry. I know how you can love the baby but hate the birth.
I wish you all the best, whether it's a healthy c-section or an opportunity to look into the VBAC option again. Please at least look at the sights, they also give emotional support for c-section mommies. I sure needed it.
Post a Comment