08 November 2008

And Ultimately? It's the Simple Things

Blah, blah, blah, BLECH! Done talking about that other stuff.

Ptooey!

I have some awesome, awesome news! Malia has been "potty-trained" for almost 2 months now. And what I mean by that is that she has been wearing underwear all day long and goes potty in the toilet, no exceptions... however, she has never done "#2" in the toilet. I've mentioned before that she has had issues with constipation her whole life (just another one of the many joyous aftermaths of colic). And thus she has only been willing to poop in diapers. So on days when she starts showing signs of wanting to have a movement, she starts to cry and hold onto her behind and look very traumatized. I'll put a diaper on her and then a good hour or two goes by where she is just pretty much inconsolable until she finally gives in and allows herself to poop. It's become a psychological roadblock for her. She's terrified of pooping because she thinks it will hurt.

Well - I'll spare you some of the details - (who am I kidding? No, I won't) - but yesterday, for the first time, she pooped in the toilet! YAY! She started to cry and asked for a diaper and I ran her upstairs and sat her on the toilet (all while she screamed, "Don't want to poop on the toilet. I need a diaper! I. Need. A. DIAPER!!!!") We've done this act before. I run her to the toilet hoping, one day, she'll just give in, and she just holds it in even longer, screaming and looking incredibly betrayed until, after 10 minutes, I get exhausted of her tantrum and just put the diaper on her. But this time, I sat her down when, all of the sudden she stops crying, I see a look of "push" on her face... and out it came!

YAHOO!!!!!

And want to hear something funny? I felt tears well up inside me. I've had friends recently tell me they almost cried after voting at this year's elections. Not me. But my daughter finally poops in the toilet and I am ecstatic and moved beyond belief. That's right. Don't tell me about my priorities! And sweet little Malia could see I was so happy for her and she just grinned from ear-to-ear. "I pooped Mommy! I pooped! In the toilet like a big girl. Like you!"

Boy did I hug her madly.

Anyway, that's my story. I was so happy for her. We even called Grandma in "Apple Dalley" to share the wonderful news. And when Daddy came home, she yelled it so loud and she was so proud, and he did a great job of showing her that he was so happy for her. Yup. And that is where the good stuff comes from. That's why families rule. You don't get moments like that outside of the walls of your own little home of understanding each others' triumphs.

Here are some pictures of Malia to enjoy that were taken while we stood in line for "Nemo" at Disneyland the other day. (These are all faces I told her to make as I was taking her picture... and she does it, too). You really can't truly get the full effect of who the kid is, though, without actually being there with her. She is freaking awesome.

"Mean face"


"Sad face"


"Surprised"

"Happy"


"Silly eyes"
(my current favorite)

8 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm Lisa Badal's aunt. For some reason I clicked on your blog. But this was an enjoyable post & frankly I can see why you guys are friends! My sister in law had the same prob with her oldest & we discovered too many banana's & cheese caused her constipation. Who would think banana's could do that to a child, but that girl LOVED banana's & everyone gave them to her-all day as many as she wanted. You can imagine the outcome-your daughter's experience on a regular occurance. She survived. She's class president now.

Lisa said...

Yay Malia!!!

And I LOVE those faces. She is so your child :)

Wendi said...

Haha! I am totally with you... the day Shannon was potty trained completely (poo and all) was one of the happiest days of my life.

I love Malia's faces! Those are so stinking cute!

Abby said...

Yay!! Woohoo for pooping in the toilet!!!

And I LOVE her facial expressions. The silly eyes one is awesome.

Jean said...

Oh my goodness. YEAH MALIA!!! That is fantastic. I know I will feel your joy when Weston is potty-trained one day. :-)

I love all her faces. She has always been so expressive.

Stephanie said...

Hooray! That IS good news! I'm so happy for you BOTH! :)

Chad and Tina said...

HAHAHAHA!! I love the new face! I get to see it is a week!

Kristy said...

That is big! It is so amazing how emotional poop can make you, but I've been there I get it. Congratulations!