06 January 2009

3 decades ago...

... at 5:45 PM on epiphany day of 1979 (January 6th), David Benjamin Nutter was born to his parents in Mesa, Arizona. And my life is all the better because of that day.

30 reasons why I love David:

30. He will finish the food on my plate if I feel guilty about throwing it away.

29. When I ask him for some "me time" to sing at the piano for a little while, he never bats an eye and always says, "sure."

28. He has a very strong work ethic.

27. His sense of humor is incredibly quirky, but once you get used to it, the guy really is a crack-up.

26. He is very handsome. SO handsome, in fact, that I usually feel guilty when we go somewhere together at the end of the day, and me with no make-up, sweats on, covered in spit-up, etc.

25. If there is a person at a social gathering that just doesn't seem to be finding their niche (the outcast, so to speak), he spots them immediately and approaches them... and they never seem uncomfortable.

24. He survived a lot of family dysfunction growing up, but never places any blame anywhere.

23. He's honest with me about my flaws... and doesn't back down, even when I cry or start going a little whack-o.

22. We've been able to perform together, and that's awesome. And there isn't any sort of competition between us, which is SO awesome.

21. I trust him entirely as the final decision-maker in the family.

20. He is so ridiculously frugal. (it's a good balance for my spending habits).

19. He makes up funny little songs and sayings using our daughters' names, some of which Malia has memorized and sings like they're real songs.

18. I never had a single fear that he wouldn't be a good father.

17. He is very loyal. Even when he doesn't like me, I know he will stick by me... even with the stretch marks (and boy are there stretch marks).

16. A lot of people are either right or left-brained. But he has a healthy balance of both. He's not only artistically talented/creative but he's also very smart in math & science.

15. We have a love of the stage in common and it's comforting to be able to share empathy with each other knowing we've both sacrificed that for the greater good of our family and our faith.

14. He is humble.

13. He almost always says "sorry" first.

12. We've kissed the same amount of people. We were each others 7th, so there isn't an unhealthy competition between us. PLUS - he doesn't talk about his ex-girlfriends... I talk about them more than he does... hee hee.

11. He's from Seattle. I know that seems like a weird thing to love, but I always feel cool when I tell people my husband's from Seattle. Dunno why.

10. He's very affectionate to everyone. I've never been very affectionate, but having him around, I kind of have to overcome that barrier. He hugs my siblings before I do. He's a great ice-breaker that way.

9. He is the only person I know of who made a ridiculous request like, "hey, how 'bout some ice cream?" at 11:45 PM on New Year's Eve to my dad... and my dad actually went and got some! (You have to know my dad to know the miracle there).

8. He will never go bald. There's no way.

7. Even when he's not working out or eating the best, he has a great build. Broad shoulders. Strong back. Nice pecs. What, TMI? Trust me. I stopped myself plenty. ;)

6. I credit his genetics for my daughters' good looks. Seriously, where else would they get those eyelashes?!

5. He explains things to me without making me feel dumb (an issue of pride for me).

4. He's ok with the fact (or pretends to be, anyway) that I will most likely go nuts before menopause as evidenced in my female family history.

3. He's a voice of reason.

2. He holds the Priesthood worthily and has an unwavering testimony. He's quiet about it, though. He bears his testimony through an amazing example.

1. He loves me.

(Interesting how, at first, I thought I'd have a hard time with 30 things, but now I actually have more that I'm, sadly, leaving out at this point....)


HAPPY 30th, Davey! We LOVE you!

Davey as Puck in Midsummer Night's Dream when he was in 6th grade.

Playing Lt. Cable in "South Pacific" in high school. (Isn't he CUTE)?!


With his buddy, Parnell.


Being a dork on his mission.


Being awesome on his mission.


With some of his favorite buddies at home in Issaquah, WA.


As Ferdinand, in the Hollywood Hi-Tones, at Universal Studios Japan.



With his brother, Derek.


Playin' the skins at my sister's wedding reception.


He did a lot of this while going to BYU.


But eventually did this with a BA and an MS.


I will always love the kid inside him, no matter how old he gets.

8 comments:

S'mee said...

makes me all squishy inside to read this...awesome that you have each other, the little ones and all of eternity to love each other. : )

Bridget said...

That was really sweet, Tiffany! Obviously he has an awesome wife to go along with all of his awesomeness. Happy Birthday, Dave.

Kristy said...

Love all of the posts! Isn't it awesome to know that you are married to such a great man. I thank the Lord everyday for Travis and wonder what I did to deserve him. Happy New Year!

Stephanie said...

That was awesome! It really gave me the chance to know your hubby since we haven't had the opportunity of actually meeting yet. You did well for yourself, girly. He's a keeper. Happy Bday, David! :)

Renee Winkel said...

Happy Birthday to the terrific guy that loves and cares for my daughter! You deserve an awesome birthday!

Liz Johnson said...

Happy Birthday, Dave!!!

What a great post. :)

GordonandChrissy said...

What a sweet post. I have to agree, Dave is a great guy. He was always so nice to me when I came in to bug Gordon in C110. :)

Jean said...

HAPPY BELATED B-DAY DAVE!!!! Great pictures. My favorite is the missionary dork one. :-)