04 February 2009

WARNING: Possible Picture Overload!

You've been warned.

This last weekend was a whirlwind of family, events, and overall joy for me. If there's one thing that having children and being a stay-at-home mom has truly made me appreciate, it's when family comes to visit. It's so nice to have adults to talk to as well as people to occupy my children. I love nothing more. Truly.

David's family showed up from Seattle on Thursday night and Gary & Elise got to see Cecily for the first time (April had been here when she was born).


The next morning, we headed to Disneyland. We haven't been there in about 3 months, which is pretty much a record for me & Malia since the move to CA in 2006. Malia was so excited and was very happy about the prospect of actually not having to take a nap that day. I was nervous because we have recently started sleep-training Cecily, and so she mostly only sleeps in her crib. Both of my girls have a gift for extreme over-stimulation and not being able to shut their eyes and block the world out. Case & point:

My mother-in-law, April, was awesome, however, and she lugged Cecily around ALL DAY in the Bjorn so that I could actually enjoy going on some "big kid" rides (I haven't been on any of the roller coasters in ages)! It was definitely a blessing, and for the most part, Cecily did fairly well. (P.S. these pictures are all courtesy of my in-laws who have an amazing camera & eye for perfect moments). So, thank you, April. I hope you enjoyed carrying her around as much as I enjoyed not having to carry her around... :) April was a godsend.

Grandma April & Grandpa Gary took both girls to the Bug's Life section of CA Adventure while David, Elise, & I got soaked on the Rapids. (I mean SOAKED)! Malia had a ball. I'm really glad she isn't shy and that she enjoys being with lots of different people. I appreciate the freedom. And I'm sure she was just happy to be back at the Happiest Place on Earth after such a hiatus. (I know - we're spoiled). She even got to go on the bumper cars, which she was too short for the last time we were there. It made me feel all schmoopy knowing that my baby girl really isn't a baby anymore. *sigh*


Afterwards, while Gary, Dave, & Elise went on the Tower of Terror, April and I took the girls over to Disneyland where we waited almost an hour (!) for Malia to see Tinkerbell. I am really amazed at how patient Malia can be in lines. I rewarded her patience with a face painting. Ok, truthfully? Maybe I wanted her to get her face painted because it's just too fun and cute. Whatever. Sue me.


On Saturday, after that exhausting day (and me falling asleep on the couch like an old lady at 9 PM), we took Malia to her dance classes in her new tutu that Grandma April had brought. She was so excited because it;s made of tulle instead of chiffon and so it sticks out more than her others and she couldn't help but look at herself in the mirror and play with it the entire hour.





After Malia's class, Dave's family took a trip to Knott's (we were too exhausted to join) & we enjoyed a relaxing visit from Dave's dad (from St. George) & Nana (from San Diego). Malia was spoiled with more gifts and Cecily was spoiled with more love. They had to head back and so I then went with April to the mall for a last minute desperate attempt to find Cecily's dress.

And then, the reason for it all. Cecily's baby blessing was on Sunday. We were so fortunate to have so many people come to be a part of it. At first, we were a little hesitant at the number that would be in the circle, but then we just realized we are truly blessed to have so many worthy men among our friends and family (shout out to the Folkmans, Winkels, Browns, Andersons, & the Suns)! I don't have many pictures from that day yet, but they'll roll in from both grandmas eventually.

David gave a beautiful blessing and I was really impressed that Cecily stayed quiet the entire time considering she'd been so sick all week. When Malia was blessed, she was drugged up on Tylenol for an ear infection so she slept through hers. And Cecily just chilled with a pacifier in her mouth. (Praise the heavens above)! Who knew I can actually create people who have moments of quiet that are actually appropriate?! Nice. 2 for 2.




Now I have the girls' cold. They're both in the clear, for the most part... and now I'm miserable. But hey, better me than them, I say.

I'm going to take a nap.

9 comments:

Abby said...

What GREAT pictures. You're right - April & Gary really have an eye for pictures. I love the one of April holding Cecily in the Bjorn and the very last one of Cecily on your? shoulder.

And how fun! Yay Disneyland and California Adventure!!! When we went 2 1/2 years ago we thought California Adventure was a lot more fun than we had expected -- with the Bug's Life area and Crush and the Muppet Show -- lots for little kids. :)

Hope your cold goes away soon!

Liz Johnson said...

You have such GORGEOUS daughters. And I'm way impressed with all that you're doing! Now take some time and RELAX!!

Lesley said...

Wow. Those are some great pictures! It helps that your entire family is sickeningly photogenic. :)

I love the story (and pictures!) of Malia and her tutu!

Mindy said...

Your girls are so stinkin' cute. I love Malia's dance pictures. If you get a chance to get a quick video one day, do it. We'd love to see her in action :) Sorry you're sick now. We just got over the bug at our house. Lincoln got it first, then gave it to Grant, who in turn gave it to me. And I got an ear infection. Yuck. Hope you get feeling better soon!

Jean said...

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!! I love them all. Glad you had such a nice day at Disneyland. And Dave's blessing was perfect! Cecily was darling in her little (giant) dress. So cute. It was wonderful to be there.

Hope you feel better soon! Colds are totally going around - argh!

Lisa said...

I almost didn't comment because I'm just going to say what everyone else said, but then I realized that you probably won't get sick of hearing...

YOUR GIRLS ARE SO SO SO SO BEAUTIFUL. Those pictures of Cecily are darling and I LOVE seeing Malia stare at her tutu in the mirror. I love how uninhibited kids are.

Vicky said...

I just love those pictures of Malia in her tutu! You have beautiful girls!

Headle said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!! Your girls are just about as gorgeous as they come! I love Cecily's eyes...they really sparkle, and her hair! She's really pretty!

Malia looks adorable in her dance outfit!! Those dance class pictures make me really want a little girl someday too!! :) SO sweet!!

hilary w said...

Can I just say that you two produce BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN!!! Your girls are so adorable. That picture of Malia in her tutu just makes me giddy to have a girl of my own! :)