Even though the first is obviously less deserving of a paycheck, I admit, I prefer them.
When I was pregnant with Malia, I was strolling... ok, waddling... through the University Mall in Orem, Utah. I was about 8 months pregnant, it was the holiday season, and my arms were full of bags. Some dude from, I dunno, I think he said Persia (riiiiiiiiiight) approached me and grabbed my arm. Looking back, I should've called security. But I was too shocked to do anything but laugh nervously. He told me I looked like I needed his product.
It was some sort of Dead Sea Salt skin creme that was "incredibly difficult to come by." (sure) And it was grainy & black... and he was rubbing it all over my lower arm.
I consider myself a fairly forward, blunt, & aggressive person... but for some reason, I found myself standing there for almost 45 minutes with my edema-swollen footsies as this dude did who-knows-WHAT to my arm, and my back began to ache and Malia started doing Highland stepping on my bladder, and I just smiled politely with the occasional, "Oh really?" "You're right. That is soft." & "Only $120?!"
*cough! choke! seriously?!*
I don't remember how I got away. I think I mentioned something about needing to consult my husband, and he retorted with something about how I shouldn't have to answer to a man, and I was like, "NO THANK YOU!!!!!"
I probably looked pretty funny trying to get as far as I could as fast as possible at my awkward size. But, hey. This was Utah Valley. How many very pregnant women do you see doing too many things at a ridiculous pace?
A lot.
I have since grown to get really nervous whenever I walk past one of these things. And, sadly, I admit... if the person looks foreign, I get even more anxious. I stare at the floor and start to walk briskly, especially if I can't find any other way to detour away from the thing.
HOWEVER -
Last week, on my birthday, the girls and I were at the mall heading home for nap time, when I walked past some girl at a kiosk for taking old-fashioned, Dickens-Era-type pictures. I've seen them at a few malls, and I've always thought they were strange because it seems to me like they couldn't possibly make much money when there are larger, fancier, more well- known photo studios just down the way. But when I hear her say that it is $15 for one 11x17 with no other obligation, I found my legs slowing down, much to my head's chagrin.
Needless to say, I made the purchase. As well as a few other pictures, because, let's face it, my kids are freaking cute, and I'll even risk hanging out at a gosh-forbidden kiosk for 15 minutes for the sake of a picture or two of my baby girls "playing dress-up."
And don't tell me that by looking at these, it wasn't worth it?



6 comments:
I am mostly amazed that your girls posed so cutely right before NAP TIME. Very impressed :)
And plus, they are very very VERY cute :)
Holy freakin' cow! Only $15 for an 11x17? I'd totally go for that, even though we're still students. I definitely wouldn't pass that up either. You DEFINITELY made the right choice in the matter.
And, yes, your kids are super cute, and yes, I also do the same thing when I walk down mall hallways. :)
Those turned out SO cute!
I love the backstory on mall kiosks. I totally feel the same way about a certain couple that has been working a Dead Sea Salt kiosk at our local mall. Avert eye contact and give it a wide passing!
Those pictures are priceless!! Your girls are so cute together! I just love them in their sweet dresses, hats and little bead necklaces! They'll treasure those pictures for years to come!!
LOVE IT!
So cute! So so so cute! You are such a girl mom.
Post a Comment