Sometimes I stumble across people who are really, really, REALLY talented and I get obsessed - fast.
Here's the thing. I have a real appreciation for people who can sing... and not just "sing," but can SAAAAAANG. And I also have an appreciation for people who can do it in one take - LIVE. I also have an appreciation for people who do this and do it in a way that's healthy for their voice - when they hit the big high notes, you don't see veins popping out of their neck; they don't jut their chins out forward with tongue or neck tension; you can hear the placement of it resonating in all the right places according to what's appropriate for the range their singing in. And I appreciate when, within this package, there's an element of soul - heart. Putting their true self out there (this often involves some quirkiness they may come across as eccentric or "weird").
I also, apparently, have an appreciation for the word "appreciate."
So here's my new discovery. A british singer/songwriter named Jessica Cornish who falls under all of those things I mentioned up there. Or "Jessie J," I guess she goes by. She only has one single out right now (something about doing things "like a dude"). And I'm not a fan of that song, really (it's kind of.... "raunchy"). HOWEVER - I spent the girls' naptime today drooling over her amazing voice on youtube today.
Enjoy.
The story behind this last one is quite touching. When she was in the hospital as a young child (not sure why), she shared a room with a young boy in need of a heart transplant. One night, his crying woke her, and he was on the floor, praying to God. He died not long after, and this song was the first she ever wrote, inspired by him.
So - I plan to buy her album in the spring.... just sayin'.
3 comments:
Man, she really does have a fabulous voice. That last song gave me chills.
,wow she is amazing!
Um, tear worthy. Love her. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing.
Post a Comment