26 August 2011

The Good News Is...

I feel like crap.

How is that good news, you ask? Well, I suppose I've been working on my optimism as of late, and that's how I try to remind myself that my feeling like crap is a sign that the baby's doing well.

What baby, you ask? The one that decided to take up dwelling in my uterus so quickly after losing one just weeks before.

Yes. That's the good news. It's amazing news, really, considering it took us so long to get pregnant with #3. Or is this one technically #3? Do you number the pregnancies or do you number the viable fetuses (fetii?). Either way - we were ready to continue as soon as possible, and "possible" turned out to be not even a month later.

I hadn't had my period for 8 weeks after the miscarriage. And the doctor had told me it would take UP to 6 weeks. So - without trying to get my hopes up TOO high, I bought a 3-test First Response box. This is where it gets complicated. Well, not really. But here's where I made it complicated.

So, if you're NOT pregnant, it should look like this:

And if you are pregnant, it should look like this:
For those of you who've never had to read one of these before, what that means is that the FIRST line measures your HcG, a hormone that rises at an exponential rate when a woman is pregnant. If that line exists at all, it means that hormone is present in your body, i.e., pregnant. (at least, this is how I understand it...). Either way, that second line means you peed on it, pregnant or not.

So, I took the test, and just stared at it, pretty much without blinking. Well, this is what I saw:
Soooooooo.... I'm pregnant but apparently non-existent.

I then deduced that the manufacturer accidentally put the strip in upside-down/backwards and showed it to Dave. "I'm not pregnant," I tell him. "My period's just riding in slowly on the short, yellow bus, I guess."

A week later, I started to feel ridiculously tired and somewhat nauseous. I thought, "Hmmm. I already have two tests in my bathroom, what can it hurt?" So I took another test, and set it down on the toilet tank to go deal with my children. When I came back, I saw this:
I could hardly see that 2nd line, but it was definitely there. As I stood there looking at it, David was walking up the stairs toward me. He'd just gotten home from work. I handed him the pee stick.

"You took another one? Why?"

"Look at it," I told him.

"It says you're not pregnant again."

"No. It says I am."

"But the other one looked liked this."

"No it didn't."

"Yes it did."

"Where is it?!"

"In the trash."

I made the poor guy retrieve it. And he was right. It had that 2nd line, it was just so faint I hadn't noticed it. But since I hadn't had a period since the miscarriage, and possibly due to having gone through a miscarriage, I was still laden with doubt.

"Maybe I should go buy another test to make sure this box isn't defective," I mentioned.

"Aren't those expensive?"

"Unfortunately. Unless..."

"Unless, what?"

"YOU pee on the last one! Then we'll be able to compare it and know for sure!"

He declined.

HOWEVER - most likely for the sake of economical wisdom, as well as due to my pushy and sometimes dominating cajoling - he used the last one the next morning. And, sure enough, he was DEFINITELY not pregnant. (I took a picture of his test next to mine - he made me swear not to post it. I guess he's embarrassed for the world to see his pee. /shrug).

Since we didn't know my due date and I'd had a (VERY) recent miscarriage, and a new blood test was showing my progesterone as dangerously low, I became "high-risk."

Now, a little over a month later, after 4 blood tests, an obnoxious prescription for increasing progesterone, my losing 10 pounds due to nausea, and two ultrasounds, I'm proud to announce baby Nutter #3:

Ultrasound taken to determine my due date. 7 1/2 weeks pregnant. Due Date: March 16th, 2012.

Ultrasound taken two weeks later, 9 1/2 weeks pregnant, to keep an eye on the baby's heartbeat after I started progesterone medication.

And today I went for a "normal" check-up. Baby's good. Heartbeat's good. We watched it do some somersaults (hence, why I have no picture. It wouldn't sit still). Progesterone is good. We are finally in that "safety zone" where the medical world goes from calling it an embryo and now it's a "fetus" and we can now share the news with the world. YAY us!



22 comments:

Abby said...

YES!!!!! This is WAY better good news than being sick...even though the being sick is PART of this good news. And this is just the sort of news I needed to turn my day around. I am so, so, so excited for you. And I hope it's a boy. Enough girls, right? :D If I can't have a boy, at least YOU should! Oh, and if you schedule yourself one day late (hah! Who am I kidding here?) -- he can share a birthday with Becca and they can be St. Patty's Day babies.

(By the way...this is #4. It was so weird to me with Becca to write on the paperwork that she was #5. It always threw me off...)

Lisa said...

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you! How wonderful that baby is doing good, and that get pregnant again wasn't too difficult. I'm so happy for another Baby Nutter to enter the world!

Taylor Thompson said...

Hooray for feeling sick - it really is a good sign. We had an almost identical situation back in 2009, with a miscarriage and then a positive pregnancy test about 5 weeks later - and Collin showed up 8 months after that!

So, congratulations and hooray! Babies are great!

Laura said...

Yea!! Love this- as well as the prego test story :) I think Dave is incredibly manly for being willing to pee on a stick for his good wife :) congrats!

Lindsey Killpack Judd said...

I loved reading this. Your humor/tone is not lost in your pen...um, fingers?...keys? Whateves. Congrats!! I didn't know about your miscarriage and am sorry you experienced that sorrow. But I'm so extactic that your pregnant again. Those test strips can have faint lines. Maybe a boy this time? Trying out new genders is all the rage amongst us uniform gender children families. So happy for you Tiff!

Liz Johnson said...

YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!! I am SO SO SO excited for you guys!!! And so glad they got the progesterone going. And so excited for you. SO SO SO excited.

And I have no idea how to number pregnancies. I have had 3 or 6, depending on how on earth we number them. It sucks.

(I know you had mentioned doing a VBA2C before... if you're still interested, I can help you find good OBs and/or midwives for it. I had a friend who was looking for the same thing and she mentioned that she had a lot of good places to find good providers online. If not, no judgment, man - do what is best for you and your family. I really mean that. I promise I'm not one of those CESAREANS ARE EVIL people. I just want you to have options to do whatever you want to do! :) )

Wendi said...

Yay! Congrats Tiffany! (And Dave too). I'm with Abby. I hope its a boy. That would be a fun change.

Jean said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!! SOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!!!! I am so thrilled. And wow, that happened REALLY quickly! HOORAY!!!! I can't wait to see you guys and rub your tummy in a couple months!!!! (Yes, there will be much tummy-rubbing. I'll rub Dave's tummy, too, so he doesn't get jealous.) YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! :-D

Anne said...

Woohoo! Welcome to the world of low progesterone. I have had to do take progesterone pills with each of my pregnancies. It is no fun. I am so happy for you! Hopefully this baby won't feel left out for not being a December baby! Congrats!

AmandaStretch said...

Congratulations!! That's so wonderful! And it's a relief to know David's not pregnant at the same time. Can you imagine the craziness two pregnancies in one house might entail? ;)

Kendra said...

So so happy for you! I am so glad that things worked out and quickly after your sad loss. Also, I love the story and that Dave peed on a pregnancy stick. So awesome. Congratulations! :D

Mindy said...

Woohoo! That post is awesome. I love the stick drawings. Sorry that you're not feeling well, that sucks, but I'm so happy about your new addition. And I'm glad little pnut is doing well. Congratulations!

Vicky said...

Congratulations! That's very exciting news. I hope all keeps going well with the pregnancy (and that your kids let you get some rest).

Bridget said...

Yay! Congratulations! Just think in a few weeks you'll be able to feel all those somersaults!

I had to take progesterone with this pregnancy and will with any future pregnancies. Does it make you so dizzy and tired like it did me?

Celeste said...

Wonderful Tiff! I'm so happy for you.

Keri-Ann said...

Yay, indeed! Enjoy the "comfort" of feeling like crap -- you've got a great attitude! :D

Kristen said...

So excited and happy for you guys! Congrats!

Brooke said...

Congratulations and continued luck!

hilary w said...

What wonderful news! I'm so glad you had good news so soon after your miscarriage. I hope you start to feel better soon!

Anne said...

Yay! Congrats! I'm actually pregnant too! Due Feb 8th. We're moving back to La Mirada sometime soon(ish) and I'll have more time that is mine. We should really get together this time... Feel better soon!!!!

Anne

Mark and Kristi said...

Yeah! So excited for you!!

Sarah Shelley said...

CONGRATS!!!!