09 May 2012

Question from Anne

This was an idea as well as a question from my friend, Anne.  She was my first real friend in the ward we live in now, and then she had to up and move to Arizona, and now Washington State.  I still haven't forgiven her (if you haven't noticed a trend - if you move away from me, I hold a grudge).  She offered this fun little A-Z list to help me with my blogging brain fart:

A is for age:
31


B is for breakfast today:

Frosted Mini Wheats


C is for currently craving:
CHOCOLATE! (2 more months, 2 more months, 2 more months...)

D is for dinner tonight:
Not sure.  Depends on what's in the kitchen.  Most likely pasta-related
.

E is for favorite type of exercise:

Dancing that doesn't feel like exercise.  Swimming is 2nd.


F is for an irrational fear:
The dark. 


G is for gross food:
Seafood & mushrooms


H is for hometown:
Apple Valley, CA


I is for something important:
Trusting God more and learning to not sweat the small stuff


J is for current favorite jam:
Strawberry (with butter).


K is for kids:
3 beautiful girls


L is for current location:
Home Office (soon-to-be Malia's room)


M is for the most recent way you spent money: I bought "Bambi" for the girls (which, after their viewing of, I've decided is totally scary & dark) & Reese's Pieces for me (to satiate the chocolate craving).

N is for something you need:
A creative outlet


O is for occupation:
stay-at-home mom

P is for pet peeve:
People who don't use their blinkers. How HARD is it?!  Your hand is RIGHT THERE!  Just move one little finger and flip the darn thing!

Q is for a quote:
"
Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
C.S. Lewis

R is for random fact about you: I've never broken a bone (arguably, maybe my tailbone - hasn't been proven).

S is for favorite healthy snack:
Apple

T is for favorite treat:
PBCup Blizzard from DQ with an extra candy scoop & nothing beats homemade chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven with a cold glass of milk.


U is for something that makes you unique:
My perceived lack of shame


V is for favorite vegetable:
Raw Cauliflower

W is for today’s workout:
Playing with CC (trust me)


X is for X-rays you’ve had:
Other than dental?  None.


Y is for yesterday’s highlight:
Daphne sleeping 6 hours last night


Z is for your time zone:
Pacific
 And then she offered this question:


 Where did you guys come up with the name Daphne?

Obviously, when we found out #3 was a girl, we were unprepared name-wise.  We'd used up our resources in that department and were waiting to have a son to name JD (Joseph David - after David's high school best friends who died in a car accident).  For girls, my rule was that their first name be 3 syllables (after me) & that their middle name come from someone important to us.  Malia's middle name is Renee, after my mother.  And Cecily's middle name is Jeanette, after David's mother's middle name.  I had a list from babynames.com of 3-syllable names I liked. My favorite choice was Genevieve, which David totally hated. Other choices were Evelyn, Eleanor, Violet, Josephine, Adelaide, Lorelei, etc. 

One day, just before David got home from work, I was looking at the site, and it had a list of "suggested names" according to my saved list of favorites.  The last name on this list of suggestions was Daphne - a name I had never even considered.  Dave walked in and I casually asked him, "What do you think of the name Daphne?"  And he replied, "Huh.  I actually like it."

Which shocked me. 

We also realized almost immediately that the name sounded like Dave & Tiffany mashed together.  Because of this, we decided her middle name could be anything we wanted since her first name would basically be her being named after us.  David allowed me to use Genevieve since it had been my original choice for first name.

So, in short, her name is Daphne, named after both of her parents.



5 comments:

Anne said...

Awesome! It didn't even occur to me that her name was a mixture of your names. #alittleslowhere
And I should get some points for moving close to Dave's family. Now there is at least a chance we could see each other again. AZ was a wash, but come on, give me some credit here!

hilary w said...

I never thought of Daphne being a combination of your names! How cool! My mom's name is Harvada--after her parents Harvey and Ada. Cool idea, I think!

Vicky said...

I love how you came up with her name. It's perfect.

Mark and Kristi said...

You're a trooper Tiff. I'm terrified of a 3rd kid because of what Megan put me through. Hang in there! I want to read your baby hungry letter!

Jean said...

AWWWWWW SHE'S SOOOOOO CUTE AAAHHHH!!!!

I never even realized that "Daphne" is like "Dave + Tiffany"... that is totally awesome!! Yay.

"My perceived lack of shame"... LOL.