I've decided to start today's letters with you so as to be sure you get this. Being the baby, you may often feel like you are being forgotten and dragged along to keep up with the busier lives of your 2 sisters. And since my time to sit and write is limited, I may not get a letter to all 3 of you today. So, this way, I can guarantee you hear my thoughts about you in this stage of your life.
| "Kisses" |
| 1st Birthday @ Goofy's Kitchen |
You are an absolute delight. And I'm not just saying this as your mother. As you get older, you will learn I am not one to say things just to say them, so appreciate the truth for what it is. I can tell that you have an incredibly sweet and charming disposition. It is very easy to get you to smile and laugh. You are also silly. I didn't realize how silly until others mentioned it to me, because we have a house full of attention-starved personalities constantly trying to be noticed and amusing. But you are definitely learning to keep up. You love to do things to get a laugh out of your sisters. They often remark that you are "the cutest baby in the world." I do not disagree. And you are generally easy to please...
... as long as you are in my arms or within a 5 foot radius.
You are my "clinger." I should've seen it coming, as you were the only one of my babies to absolutely refuse anything other than my breast for nearly the entirety of the 1st year of your life. You were the hardest one to sleep train, despite all of my knowledge on the subject. You are also the most difficult of my children to hand over to people; even if it's your father. People are so absolutely sure I'm exaggerating as you smile and flirt with them from my arms. "No. I don't believe you. She's so sweet! Here. Let me hold her."
You are my "clinger." I should've seen it coming, as you were the only one of my babies to absolutely refuse anything other than my breast for nearly the entirety of the 1st year of your life. You were the hardest one to sleep train, despite all of my knowledge on the subject. You are also the most difficult of my children to hand over to people; even if it's your father. People are so absolutely sure I'm exaggerating as you smile and flirt with them from my arms. "No. I don't believe you. She's so sweet! Here. Let me hold her."
Thanks...? for proving I'm not a liar.
The intensity of your charming grins juxtaposed by the piercing shrieks that are comparable to a banshee have alarmed more people than I imagine I could count. And then when they quickly and with apology hand you back to me, the waterworks shut off immediately, you bury your nose in my shoulder, and then you look back at the offender, coyly beaming as if no one is worse for the wear. I'd say you have the makings of a passive aggressive future villain if it wasn't for the fact that I know you are actually incredibly sweet and endearing. You just love me. And that's more than ok. Everyone loves to be loved. And if I'm loved by you? Well, I really couldn't do any better.
| I could put 100 toys in your path, and you'd still head straight for destroying the DVDs |
You are still, as you have always been, incredibly beautiful. You're skin is so dark, I wonder if people look at us and think I'm you're nanny. I have exposed your belly to far too many people in my efforts to prove it's all natural and not just too much sun. You are very lucky. And your eyelashes are seriously unfair. My dad, your Grandpa, comments on you whenever he sees you that you look just like an actual doll with your enormous eyes. And there is such a spark in them. Even though you are definitely your father's daughter in appearance, something about you reminds me of my mom's mom; your Great Grandma Swenson. She would've been very happy to meet you. She always wanted a dark grand baby, someone who looked more like her with her dark features. She would've definitely loved you. Every time we go anywhere, your charm and good looks are commented on. I literally see people glance in your direction and then double take to get a better look at "such a beautiful baby!" As with your sisters, I will have to be sure you grow up into someone who is gracious and humble, as you are too darn pretty, almost for your own good.
You have been late to crawl and are still a little hesitant with your walking. I worried at first, and then someone suggested that maybe your sisters are too quick to get for you what you need and so you've never felt the necessity to get things yourself. Also, being the 3rd, you get carried a lot and carted around in order to keep up with our increasingly busy lifestyle. I'm not worried now. As with most of your milestones, I'm learning that you'll do it when you want to, and to just sit back and enjoy watching you become you. You take about a dozen steps before you often default into a crawl. I imagine it's mainly because it is still a faster mode of transportation for you. And, even though you are generally sweet and pleasant, you definitely have an impatient side; an impatient side that is often accompanied by your loud, soprano side.
You are almost 16 months old, and while your physical milestones are taking some time, you are more verbal and social than average. You are definitely enjoying the ability to actually be able to communicate beyond screams and grunts. Here are many (but not all) of the things you say:
Hi
Bye
Uh Oh
Dada
Mama
Ow
Up
Eat
Weeeee!
"Eeesth" - please
"Pvvvph" - poop
"Mmmmmm!" - yum
"all duh" - all done
"Dat" - that
"puh puh" - purple
"bvvvph" - blue
"Theeeeeth" - cheese (smiling for pictures)
*panting - dog
You love to sing and dance. When I sit at the piano, you will come over and play the keys you can reach and "belt" along with me. I think your sisters don't like it because, when they try to do the same, I usually ask them not to. They forget it was once cute when they were smaller like you. Although, I do think I tolerate it more with you, as having 3 children has taught me to care less about certain past annoyances. You've officially worn me out, I guess. I suppose that's why babies of families are reputably spoiled.
You are such a joy and amazing addition to our family, Daphne. Even though the first year of your life was hard for me, it was, in no account, because of you. And I am so grateful that now that I am out of my postpartum haze, I am able to more enjoy your sweet spirit. You have just recently begun to come to me on your own accord and just give me a hug for no reason other than to hug, and I have to restrain myself from squeezing back too hard. I was so anxious to reach this point in your life, when things would get "easier," and now I regret it as I feel I wished it away too quickly.
Slow down.
Love,
Mommy
| You fold your arms to pray at mealtimes unprompted. We say "prayer time," and you do this on your own. |
2 comments:
Sweet little Daphne. She really is beautiful! Just like her sisters. :)
I love that you do these letters. What an incredible thing for you and your girls to look back on. Daphne really is a beautiful baby. Poor Dave has his work cut out for him in a few years when the boys start coming around...not 1, but 3 stunning girls to worry after! Good luck :)
Post a Comment