05 May 2008

Singing in the Shower

Ok.... so this may sound really strange, but I've never sung in the shower.

I've heard about it in various sitcoms, comedy acts, popular culture, etc. I've even had friends tell me about experiences they themselves have had while putting on recitals in the acoustical perfection of their bathrooms. But I've never done it.

Here's the thing: I grew up in a musical family. For anyone who knows us, that may seem like a bit of an understatement. My parents are both singers/musicians who put very possible successful careers on the backburner. They had 5 children, ALL of which sing and play a musical instrument... and ALL of which are quite good at it. When it comes to music, there is not an ounce of mediocrity in a single member of my immediate family. We even had a band that performed on all of the major holidays as well as at state & county fairs, local store grand openings, Church functions, and an occasional TV spot. This isn't a joke. We were like the Partridge Family (even better, in my opinion) and we're actually related. We even got paid for these "gigs" (imagine a 7-year-old turning down a birthday party because she had a "gig" with her family... I swear, it's true). Us kids never saw the money, but I'm told it was there.

I'm not just bragging. In fact, in some cases, quite the opposite. I mean, envision your typical sibling rivalries enhanced even more so by the fact that you all share the same talents and are all striving for success in the same area, which isn't going to happen, since we all know the business of the arts is more like a lottery then a true judgement of your ability.

Thus, why I never sang in the shower. When you have to hear your siblings sing and make a general musical ruckus all day long, a moment of peace & quiet in the shower was hard to come by... and very welcomed. Not to mention, I have no doubt I would have been royally mocked... especially if I was making an attempt to actually sing well in the shower. That's just the kind of loving family I have.

Admittedly, I've done a vocal warm-up here & there when I have somewhere to sing in the morning and time is limited. But no actual "singing."

Until today.

And let me tell you. The experience & acoustics are not over-rated.

I was awesome!

6 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

That is awesome. You should make shower recordings and sell them on Ebay.

I love how awesome the shower makes anybody sound, even those of us that... well let's just say we never sang at the fair. :)

Headle said...

Tiffany--I miss hearing you sing so much!! I even thought about you at church a couple of weeks ago when some sisters sang in RS. It was pretty good, but just not the same as hearing you!! You may have a lot of talented siblings no doubt, but WOW girl, you are INCREDIBLE!!!

SO, what I'm really saying is...if you make a CD and I'll totally buy it!! :D

whitney said...

haha. of course you were awesome. :)

i had no idea that you grew up in such a musical family.

Amy said...

Brilliant. :-)

Lisa said...

I've only sang in the shower like once, because of a similar family which would mock me. But you're right, it's awesome!

Once I was singing really loud in my apartment in Wymount while doing dishes, and once I finished a song, the Smiths were clapping on the other side of my door. Embarrassing.

Stephanie said...

Funny, yet understandable that you'd never done it before. XP The acoustics ARE not unlike a great, mini cathedral he he. When I was a freshman, a couple of my choir girlfriends and I used to practice three-way harmonies in the girls' bathroom during lunch. How cool were we? LOL It was great fun, though.