07 January 2009

As per a friend's request...

Ok - so I am totally against people who try to make excuses for themselves. Really. It's annoying. And it's a cardinal rule for auditions: Never try to make excuses. Just do it. (None of this, "I've been sick" or "It's really dry in here" or "My dog ate my vocal cords" crap).

But a couple of my friends asked me to post a video of me singing "Defying Gravity" from the musical "Wicked." I don't have enough means, time, sanity, or clean clothes to make a newer recording, so I'm just going to post this one from a high school choir reunion 3 years back. It's the same day as the "Wizard & I" recording I sent in for the Wannabe Wicked contest, but a different performance (the 2nd one).

Now for the above-mentioned disclaimer: I didn't get on stage to sing this until 11 pm that night. That wouldn't usually be a problem, except that I'd been pretty much belting it out ALL DAY LONG. And this was also when Malia was only 3 1/2 months old, which means we were still in the midst of her colic and so I hadn't been up past 8:30 PM in a couple of months. Thus - I was already exHAUSTed by 11 and somewhat dillusional (I cried the whole drive home - I was that tired). Having said that...

...I am kind of pitchy in this recording. I go painfully flat a few times (which is not typical for me). I do a lot of things wrong, but going flat is usually not one of those things. Please forgive. Or just don't watch. Either or.

P.S. I know I sway a lot. It's my stage "ism." I've been trying to stifle it for years. Haven't mastered it, yet.

8 comments:

Renee Winkel said...

Awesome even under less than ideal circumstances!

Courtnie said...

Tiffany! I have missed your voice and that was so good to hear! Man, the memories of Dave's coaching and getting the "inside" scoop on the MDT-ness going on at BYU. I loved hearing you sing each week with my own private show! :) You are beautiful and SO talented! Glad all went well with your cute baby too!

Timeeh said...

Okay Tiff, we'll forgive you this once : )

Even with the few uncharacteristic pitch problems you do a great job! You have your usual command of the stage and are a great performer. Thanks for posting this! Hopefully we'll be able to see you on stage again in the next 3 years!

Headle said...

WOW!! WOW!!! I got the chills!! You are AMAZING!!! You have talent just BURSTING out of you! There are INCREDIBLE opportunities ahead for you!!!!

Kandyce said...

Simply amazing!! :) Miss your guts!

Jean said...

Yaaaaay!! I'm so glad you posted this. I love all your posts that I've missed -- especially Elf Yourself!! HAHAHAHA!!! Awesome.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

HO...LEE...COW.

FANTASTIC.

I mean...really. I'm blown away.

J + P said...

Man! I miss you. A lot. And I love to read your "journal" entries. I can relate to you in so many ways, and I appreciate you being so real. Thanks for your awesome example! :O)