And it's genius.
And how do I know it's genius? Because I see so much of my adolescence in this show. There's only been one episode... but I fell head over heels in love. 1) I relate to Matthew Morrison's character Will Schuester because I was once a starving choir teacher giving far too much of my time and personal money to high school kids, desperate to help them find the joy in music. And 2) even though part of me is a little bit ashamed to admit it, so much of who I was in high school I see in the annoying character of Rachel Berry (minus the gay dads & add in "overbearingly devout to religion").

I am really happy that it seems like this show is going to be popular... it already is, actually. But at the same time, I'm a little bit miffed at its popularity. Here's why.
I relate to this show. At my high school, we had "show choir." Now - in our little choir room, at choral competitions, and at our concerts, we were the coolest kids around. But in the general setting of everyday school, most of us were "losers." And even though some of the really popular kids at my school had once actually been good friends of mine and had, at one time, invited me to all of their slumber parties and told me all about their first loves (in the 5th grade) and shared with me the excitement of their first bra and/or kiss... once I had made two specific choices, a lot of those friendships crumbled. The two choices being: sticking strongly to my faith... and show choir.
What does this have to do with the popularity of this new show, you ask? Well - if so many people seem to like it in order for it to be picked up for an entire upcoming season.... WHERE WERE THESE PEOPLE WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL?! Now it's cool to applaud the singing kids?! Now it's ok to have an appreciation for the underdogs?! Now the girl with the big mouth, awkward confidence, and desperate passion for nothing but music, (*cough, cough* ME *cough*) is all that and more?!
GUH!
Apparently my timing was way off. More than 10 years off (don't do the math...).
Ok. I've ranted. And so I will post my two most favoritest :) moments from the very first episode. Enjoy!
8 comments:
I'm super excited for Glee :)
I think that while you're IN high school, most people try to PRETEND that they're cool, while they all either feel as nerdy as the music nerds and/or wish they had something they could excel at like us.
P.S. I was NEVER friends with the cool kids, lol.
Awesome show. Chris and I laughed so hard and we too feel your kiship to the characters! We can't wait for it to get started for real... and we don't even watch tv!
I have watched the pilot twice, and I love it. :) That said, I definitely wasn't one of the popular kids (or the talented kids, sigh), so I don't know where these people are coming from!
I have been waiting...and waiting...and WAITING for this show to start & my husband has been laughing at me all the while. Isn't it fantastic, though?!
Also, I, for one, am very grateful that you gave too much time to high school kids to help them find joy in music. My life was absolutely changed for good. :)
That show looks so fun!!
Fox has definitely invested their fair share into promoting singing and dancing talent. I don't remember anything like that when we were in high school. Not to mention, Disney seems to have the magic touch! The popularity of the High School Musical movies has probably helped everyone finally begin to appreciate REAL talent instead of re-mixed, lip syncing, digitally designed recording artists.
And you are definitely recognized NOW for being beautiful, articulate and talented!!!! I wonder how some of those high school jokers turned out?
i'm sooooo excited for this show!
Tiffy, I'm so excited for this show now!!! I missed the first episode (maybe I can find it online?), but it looks awesome! Um... I kind of relate to your show choir issue. Our marching band worked REALLY hard and always won competitions, but we were losers in school. So sad. A lot of people just don't understand that whole world! (For me, band, for you, show choir.) I know you guys rocked it, though. :-)
I got all choked up watching the pilot when it aired a month or so ago. Choir was the one of the best things in my adolescent life. The show literally gave me goosebumps! I always wished that Victor had at least had the support that Sunsations seemed to have from it's school and fundraising parents. We struggled to keep an accompanist and have sheet music! Nobody seemed to appreciate what we were doing. It was absolutely HUGE when our little after-school jazz choir (of only eight students mind you) won a regional competition down the hill. For ONCE a little respect! I really look forward to seeing how Glee turns out. :)
Post a Comment