... and accountability.
I taught high school before having kids of my own. My parents are/were both teachers. My sisters are teachers. My grandparents were teachers. I have many aunts, uncles, & cousins who are teachers.
It's in our blood.
I come from a long line of people who enjoy educating as well as the fulfillment of providing uplifting knowledge to other's children. We also believe in strict discipline in our homes as well as our classrooms.
We do not make excuses for our own children, nor do we accept excuses for other children when the child/adolescent is truly capable of doing what has been asked of them.
I remember a parent calling me and cursing me out for failing her daughter who came to class 3 times in an entire semester. THREE times! Seriously?! The mother accused me of just not noticing her daughter in the classroom. Trust me. When she DID come, I saw her... there was no missing the girl who came stumbling into the classroom in her hard-core army-type boots, angry at the world. You're right. I just didn't see the girl who glared at me as if I was wasting her time, even though she had chosen to be in this class as one of her electives.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
How about you have a chat with your bratty, teenage demon of a daughter instead of throwing all possible blame on the woman who's doing her best to provide music education to the kids who actually want to learn something?
Another parent accused me of lying when her daughter (who had already transferred schools 1/2 a dozen times for getting into trouble) threatened my life. The mother claimed I "just wanted attention." Who wants that kind of attention?!
The list goes on...
That is why this clip brings me great joy.
Unfortunately, the only people who'll find it amusing will be the people who already agree with me. The people who need to hear it... won't be amused.
/shrug
10 comments:
Hahahaha! That's awesome!
That is the best ever.
Yes! Yes. Yes. Yes.
We had a parent who called me at school and told me I didn't deserve to be paid for what I was doing. Same parent pulled out the phone book and started calling down the list of people who had the same last name as one of our teachers until she got her at home and harassed her at home. Oh the stories. And oh the things teachers say about those parents when we're in the faculty lounge.
Oh my goodness, that is absolutely hilarious. I obviously whole-heartedly agree with you. So many parents are convinced that teachers are the enemy. Puh-LEASE! Enter the real world.
Love it! :-)
That was brilliant!! So true- we as parents have the sacred and important job of teaching our children responsibiltiy for their actions. I am realizing this with my tiny little kids already. Oh the task at hand. Thanks for this post, made me smile, and excited to realize there ARE many others who feel this way! You are great Tiffany, and I would have loved to be in your music class!!
oh... oh.... but you must admit, there are some all time awesome parents too....
Holy Cow! You are SOOOO right! There are lots of teachers in my family too, and we've all agreed that even though we are certified, we'd rather NOT teach because of all the hassles that come with the job -- mostly parents of lazy kids.
My favorite option was #6: If you want us to raise your child!!
I'm still laughing. Thanks! :)
I found this very amusing and spot on. Then again, I already agreed with you.
Hilarious because it's too true!
You have to really love the kids and believe in the divine call to teach to continue teaching among all the garbage today!
Post a Comment