04 May 2010

Dear LOST

*warning: MAJOR spoilers for anyone who has not yet seen tonight's episode)

Ok. So here's the deal, my friend.

Our relationship started out a little shaky, I admit. You were introduced to me about three weeks before your 2nd season began. My first child was up nights with colic, and some friends lent us their DVDs of the 1st season to help us pass the time. We watched you with captions because we couldn't hear anything over our baby's screams. (Ok, except this sound which always seemed to overpower her wails).

The 2nd season was everything we hoped it would be. We relished in the stupor we were left in every week. And to be morbidly honest? I was ok with you killing Shannon.

In fact, rather than make this too long-winded, I'm just going to get to the point. After tonight's episode, I went to Lostpedia to get a look at your body count. You've killed a lot of people, LOST. No, I'm not blaming "the Island." I'm blaming you, dumb show. I'm now going to refer to some of the more notable sacrifices:

Boone
- killing him bugged me a little at first. Been over it for a few years, now, though.
Arnzt - have to admit, the loss was more than worth it for Hurley's great line.
Shannon - yeah, ok. I was sad for Sayid. But the chic (and the actress) bugged me. Good riddance.
Ana Lucia - a major surprise. I was a little bummed. But the actress's personal life kept interfering with my feelings for the character. (she redeemed herself in "Avatar").
Libby - I started to get mad, here. I mean - c'mon. Throw Hurley a frikkin' bone, here, people!
Nikki & Paulo - thank HEAVENS you killed them. Wish you'd tortured them even more. Au revoir!
Mr. Eko - Cool guy. Shame to lose him. I may have shed a little tear.
Charlie - Lame. LAME! SO lame! I cried pretty hardcore at the sacrifice of the hobbit. Took me a season or 2 to forgive you, LOST.
Michael - Meh.
Charlotte - I know I should've been sad, but I was getting used to the bodies at this point... and her nostrils bugged me, anyway.
Faraday - Darn it. The only guy who confused me more than the story itself. He was cool. Darn it.
Locke - Threw me off... but at the same time, I appreciated the twist. It's one of the things I love about you; why I forgive you even after some major mistakes. Plus, I was relieved to still see Terry O'Quinn, possessed or not. He's a great actor.
Juliet - yeah. Ok. This pissed me off. Still kind of am, to be honest.
Sayid - What?! WHAT?!! WHAT?!!!!!!! I don't care WHAT evil was "taking him over." I LOVED him! You hear me, LOST?! He RULED!

Now.... here's the thing. I've mourned a few of these, anticipated some, even cheered at a few (and I didn't even mention any "bad guys").

But, LOST? I may have to break up with you now. You would think I could hold onto this relationship for 2 1/2 more weeks until the series finale. But you have performed the great betrayal. There have been a few close calls for 2 specific people here & there, and I've breathed a sigh of relief to see them survive and, last week, finally come back together (although, I admit, I thought for sure those pylons were gonna' do them in). But they didn't. And, LOST? After all we've been through? I was proud of you.

Until tonight...

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU KILLED JIN & SUN!!!!!
I HATE YOU SO HARD RIGHT NOW!
IT'S OVER BETWEEN US!


(...until next Tuesday, that is).

5 comments:

Timeeh said...

haha, you are hilarious. I was thinking about starting to watch this show (yeah, I'm a little late) but your obsessive relationship is making me rethink that. :)

Celeste said...

I totally cried. It was awful.

Liz Johnson said...

I'm thinking that "Glee" was a better choice for last night. I LOVE THAT SHOW.

Blackburns said...

Ok, so I know you mentioned that you had spoilers, but I didn't expect that Sun and Jin were dead!!!!! I don't know that I can continue watching that show. I almost stopped watching when they killed off Juliet. Did I mention that I named my daughter after her. . . well maybe not but still I am not a happy woman right now. Oh Sun and Jin why did you have to die?

Jean said...

I know. That was way too sad. We better be working up to a flipping AWESOME finale.