WARNING: This post will be a little.... "PG."
Dave says I have a "gift." And you will see he doesn't mean it as a compliment when I tell you what he's referring to. I think he means to say it's actually a "curse."
People tell me stuff. Intimate stuff. TMI stuff. We haven't come to a totally valid conclusion as to why this is, yet. But we think it's because I am really open and honest, even when people have known me for a very brief time. I would like to think it makes them feel comfortable around me. Maybe they feel they can share things because they think I won't judge them....? That, and I seem to lack some sort of censor.
I'm working on that. I swear.
Part of it is because I'm a woman. And we are chatty and nosy and meddlesome. But I don't just come home with information re: who's dating who, etc. I come home with information about people's medical history or dysfunctional families or their criminal records.
I'm not kidding.
The reason I am sharing this today, though, is because I had to take Malia to the ER and I had a conversation with a woman in the waiting room that just boggled my mind. (P.S. Malia is totally fine). The thing is, this woman doesn't know me from Adam. And I really don't feel like I left her the opening I usually seem to unintentionally leave for people when they decide to regurgitate their life stories or confess their sins to me. I was shocked at how quickly the conversation with this complete stranger went from casual to... well, you'll see.
People tell me stuff. Intimate stuff. TMI stuff. We haven't come to a totally valid conclusion as to why this is, yet. But we think it's because I am really open and honest, even when people have known me for a very brief time. I would like to think it makes them feel comfortable around me. Maybe they feel they can share things because they think I won't judge them....? That, and I seem to lack some sort of censor.
I'm working on that. I swear.
Part of it is because I'm a woman. And we are chatty and nosy and meddlesome. But I don't just come home with information re: who's dating who, etc. I come home with information about people's medical history or dysfunctional families or their criminal records.
I'm not kidding.
The reason I am sharing this today, though, is because I had to take Malia to the ER and I had a conversation with a woman in the waiting room that just boggled my mind. (P.S. Malia is totally fine). The thing is, this woman doesn't know me from Adam. And I really don't feel like I left her the opening I usually seem to unintentionally leave for people when they decide to regurgitate their life stories or confess their sins to me. I was shocked at how quickly the conversation with this complete stranger went from casual to... well, you'll see.
The discourse went as follows:
Lady: Oh, poor baby. What happened?
Me: We were at the grocery store. She slipped and fell and hit her head on some boxes. Normally it'd be no big deal, but it bled a lot, and I could see it was split. It might not be anything, really, but I don't have any boys, so I haven't had a lot of practice with these things. The wound was just really deep. We went to Urgent Care, but I told them I'd like to avoid stitches so she doesn't scar, and they didn't have any of that glue, so they sent me here.
Lady: I have three boys and a daughter. I was in the ER monthly.
Me: Oh, I'm sure! And they probably played sports, too, which must've made it worse.
Lady: No. Actually, my 2nd son, who was the least athletic, was the most accident prone.
Me: Isn't that funny?
Lady: Yeah. One time he totally ripped open his balls.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!!!!! Not to mention she said this to me without batting an eyelash as my innocent 5-year-old sits on my lap! She then continued to tell me how it happened - of which I will spare you the details - but PLEASE tell me that this is not normal. And please tell me how to avoid having people think I want that kind of information for next time....
6 comments:
Baaaahhhh!!! I don't even know what to say. Wow. But if it's any consolation, it actually reminds me of a woman I ran into at a Children's Museum, in the bathroom. I was with my very pregnant sister-in-law and the woman proceeds to tell us about her oldest daughter and remembering being pregnant and THEN all about how she knows exactly what night it was....and yeah...I won't add more details EITHER. What is it with people? I guess you're just too nice for your own good.
HAAAAAAAAAA!! i have no advice on how to stop people from telling you their deepest secrets, but i think it would be pretty entertaining.... i say let them keep talking. :)
HA!! Mommies seem to love to share the most gory/gross details of their kids illnesses or injuries. I might not have been so forthcoming with a total stranger, though...
I would recommend just not talking to strangers, give them a dirty look and walk away.
HAHAHAHA!!! Yes, I think that would qualify as TMI. Maybe she was partly going for shock value, but I agree with you, it's pretty easy to disclose sensitive information your way since you're so open yourself. :-)
Yikes! How in the world could you have anticipated that response?! Your conversation seemed so natural up to the point of TMI.
I have no doubt that you handled it gracefully. I really have no idea what I would of said.
Post a Comment