"... Big D, Little A, Double L, A, S!"
I belted that song out with my friend, David Walker, 2 times a night, 2 nights a week, wearing a bolo tie, denim skirt, and red boots at the Playmill Theatre in West Yellowstone, MT in the summer of 2000. In case you couldn't tell, "That spells Dallas! Just dig your toe in Dallas and there's oil all over your address!"
I have it on video (VHS) somewhere. I really should dig all that up and get it transferred to digital. How does one even do that? Does it cost a lot?
All of the above has absolutely nothing to do with my original intention with this post. But the title reminded me of that song... and it's a good memory. Plus I make no sense lately. Blame my good ol' pal, Sleep Deprivation.
So "the Big D." Or, in other words, depression.
I know some people have been wondering (or maybe not) whether or not it has reared it's ugly head this time around.
Sorta'.
At my 2 week post-partum appointment (us c-section gals are lucky and have that in addition to the 6 week), I talked to the R.N. about my impending anxiety. I cried. A lot. My blood pressure literally read high, which is something that's never happened to me before. The nurse kept handing me Kleenex. We talked for quite a while. I asked her if I appeared more weepy than the average woman at this point. She replied with an honest, "Yes." She asked if I wanted Prozac or the gentler Zoloft. I told her I had been previously informed that it's not truly diagnosable as PPD until about 6 weeks post-partum, and that I had hoped to avoid the medication until I hit that point. She prescribed me a natural supplement of Progesterone (what used to be prescribed for PMS and PPD in "the old days"). "Maybe it can take the edge off," she said.
That was almost 3 weeks ago.
Daphne is now 4 1/2 weeks old. Some of you may say, "Already?!" I say, "Still?!"
But I digress.
I am a week and a 1/2 away from that magical scary number of hormonal/emotional doom: 6 weeks. I also would like to note that newborns are known to be at the peak of their fussiness at 6-8 weeks. I do not think that is just a coincidence. CC's crying at 5 & 6 weeks old most likely triggered the post-partum-depression-inducing PTSD that had been a result of Malia's colic. Daphne's crying on Day 1 of her birth tied a deep knot into the pit of my stomach that is still there and that most likely triggered the high blood pressure reading at my 2 week check.
Do I have PPD? I think so. Is it as bad as last time? Probably. Have I started hurting myself, yet? No. Do I think I need the anti-depressants...?
Here's the good part: I don't think so. Going to therapy last time gave me some tools I use every time I hear Daphne cry. While Daphne learns to self-soothe in her crib, I learn to self-soothe in my head. I have to remind myself it's important for a baby to learn to not need me to fall asleep, and that sometimes that involves blowing off some steam. I have to remind myself that in order to feel like a decent mother, I still have to parent 2 other children and can't lug a sleeping infant around while also caring for Malia & CC. I have to remind myself that sometimes Daphne is safer (even crying) in her crib than in my frustrated arms.
Does talking to myself totally take away all the anxiety? Nope. But does it help? A little. And will it help me overcome the hurdle in the next month otherwise known as "Tiffany's Scary Time?" I hope so. Is it annoying when I ask myself all these questions? Yup. But I don't have a lot of adults to talk to, so I settle for Myself.
I think I'm ok. I'm tired. I'm anxious. I'm craving chocolate like there's no freaking tomorrow! But I think I'm ok.
But could you do me a little favor? Throw me into a prayer or two for the next few weeks, if you don't mind.
I could use all the help I can get...
I belted that song out with my friend, David Walker, 2 times a night, 2 nights a week, wearing a bolo tie, denim skirt, and red boots at the Playmill Theatre in West Yellowstone, MT in the summer of 2000. In case you couldn't tell, "That spells Dallas! Just dig your toe in Dallas and there's oil all over your address!"
I have it on video (VHS) somewhere. I really should dig all that up and get it transferred to digital. How does one even do that? Does it cost a lot?
All of the above has absolutely nothing to do with my original intention with this post. But the title reminded me of that song... and it's a good memory. Plus I make no sense lately. Blame my good ol' pal, Sleep Deprivation.
So "the Big D." Or, in other words, depression.
I know some people have been wondering (or maybe not) whether or not it has reared it's ugly head this time around.
Sorta'.
At my 2 week post-partum appointment (us c-section gals are lucky and have that in addition to the 6 week), I talked to the R.N. about my impending anxiety. I cried. A lot. My blood pressure literally read high, which is something that's never happened to me before. The nurse kept handing me Kleenex. We talked for quite a while. I asked her if I appeared more weepy than the average woman at this point. She replied with an honest, "Yes." She asked if I wanted Prozac or the gentler Zoloft. I told her I had been previously informed that it's not truly diagnosable as PPD until about 6 weeks post-partum, and that I had hoped to avoid the medication until I hit that point. She prescribed me a natural supplement of Progesterone (what used to be prescribed for PMS and PPD in "the old days"). "Maybe it can take the edge off," she said.
That was almost 3 weeks ago.
Daphne is now 4 1/2 weeks old. Some of you may say, "Already?!" I say, "Still?!"
But I digress.
I am a week and a 1/2 away from that magical scary number of hormonal/emotional doom: 6 weeks. I also would like to note that newborns are known to be at the peak of their fussiness at 6-8 weeks. I do not think that is just a coincidence. CC's crying at 5 & 6 weeks old most likely triggered the post-partum-depression-inducing PTSD that had been a result of Malia's colic. Daphne's crying on Day 1 of her birth tied a deep knot into the pit of my stomach that is still there and that most likely triggered the high blood pressure reading at my 2 week check.
Do I have PPD? I think so. Is it as bad as last time? Probably. Have I started hurting myself, yet? No. Do I think I need the anti-depressants...?
Here's the good part: I don't think so. Going to therapy last time gave me some tools I use every time I hear Daphne cry. While Daphne learns to self-soothe in her crib, I learn to self-soothe in my head. I have to remind myself it's important for a baby to learn to not need me to fall asleep, and that sometimes that involves blowing off some steam. I have to remind myself that in order to feel like a decent mother, I still have to parent 2 other children and can't lug a sleeping infant around while also caring for Malia & CC. I have to remind myself that sometimes Daphne is safer (even crying) in her crib than in my frustrated arms.
Does talking to myself totally take away all the anxiety? Nope. But does it help? A little. And will it help me overcome the hurdle in the next month otherwise known as "Tiffany's Scary Time?" I hope so. Is it annoying when I ask myself all these questions? Yup. But I don't have a lot of adults to talk to, so I settle for Myself.
I think I'm ok. I'm tired. I'm anxious. I'm craving chocolate like there's no freaking tomorrow! But I think I'm ok.
But could you do me a little favor? Throw me into a prayer or two for the next few weeks, if you don't mind.
I could use all the help I can get...
5 comments:
Having the tools is a HUGE thing, and I'm glad you have them. And, yes, I will (and do) pray for you.
You got it, mama! So sorry you have to go through this.
I'm thinking about you a lot! It sometimes (always) seems unfair that after 9 (10) months of growing a life and experiencing all the discomfort that can bring, THEN giving birth to that baby and dealing with the healing process/nursing pain/engorgement, many women ALSO have to deal with intense baby blues and PPD. You are not alone and I'm so proud of you for coping so well, even if you may not feel like you are. You will emerge again from this muddled, frustrating, difficult time and find a schedule and life that is comfortable and enjoyable. Then you'll suddenly realize that you are managing your life with your3(!) kids and having some fun in the process. I'm told that it gets easier and easier and more and more fun. I love you and will definitely shoot some prayers your way, and probably some more late night notes :).
I know I'm late on this one, but I'm praying for you, my friend. I love you for being so honest about PPD. I love you for being honest about many things. You're an inspiration for being real and honest and lovable.
LOVE YOU!!!
Aw Tiffany, you're definitely in my thoughts! I miss you, and so do all the kids in primary. You have my number, so call or text if you need anything or want to chat. The girls come to church so happy and well-adjusted, so you're doing things right! And by the way, you should have seen CC playing "Name that Tune" on Sunday. Talk about a musical genius! She got songs before the adults did, and was definitely light years ahead of the other kids. I was amazed. The cutest thing was, she was genuinely confused when the other kids didn't get the songs as quickly as she did. She and Malia are so fun.
Post a Comment