21 March 2008

Joy


My daughter is so many wonderful things. But, more then anyone I've ever met in my entire life, she encapsulates joy. I'm not referring to the joy she gives me, which is boundless and inexplicable. I'm referring to the joy she has within herself. She is pure "take-life-by-the-reins-and-ride" happiness.

Obviously, some of you are thinking, "Well, she's 2. Of course she's happy. She has no worries."

I have to explain to you, as her mother; as someone who spends every waking hour with her; as the one person on this earth who knows her best.... it's more then that. It's the nature of her beyond what I can nurture. It's who her spirit is.

When Malia was screaming 24-7, I had an incredibly inspired bishop once say to me that I needed to know to separate the spirit of my child from her body. She was in pain, and her body wasn't being very nice to her. However, her spirit was desperately fighting to please her parents and make them happy.

Even when she was a tiny bundle of loud wailing and agonizing sobs, I could see it in her eyes; in one of those quiet moments when the post-partum depression and sleep-deprivation were not in control of me. I connected with her, spirit to spirit. And it was as if she said, "I really am a good girl, Mommy. Just give me chance. I have so much to offer you."

And now that she is flourishing and able to really enjoy this life, that's exactly what she does. Enjoys. Completely. Whole-heartedly. No qualms or cares. But it's beyond a sense of being carefree... she is more then just a happy child. I watch other children around her, and while she may be a bit... loud, she overpowers them with her extreme elation. As if she knows a secret that is so yummy and none of us have heard it yet.

In her nature, her God-given nature, she is full of more joy then the average person. I think God sent her to me specifically to teach me to find joy beyond my search for mere happiness.

I now know what it means to have the roles reversed... for child to become teacher.

And I'm trying very hard to learn.






5 comments:

Giggles said...

That gives me joy just to read about it. What a blessing she is in your life.

Mike said...

You are both great teachers and students...

Lesley said...

What your bishop said is such a neat thing to think about. Thanks for sharing!

She does seem more joyful than the average child.

Stephanie said...

That fairy picture is the most amazing thing! I think it really depicts her inner joy you were describing. What a little miracle!

Macy said...

Love the advice your bishop gave you. Thank you for sharing that - as well as all the other wonderful lessons you have already learned as a parent.