03 April 2008

Ode to Davey

I was noticing that the majority of this blog contains 2 topics: Malia's Milestones & My Rantings. David doesn't post on the blog (despite my best efforts to encourage him to do otherwise) and so, if you only knew our family through our blog, you might assume he didn't even exist.


Thus, the reason for this next post. Some of this will be old news to many of you. But a small handful of you might find it both enlightening and entertaining. I am mostly doing it to embarrass the heck out of my husband (as if I don't already do that on a daily basis... HA!) And because he needs the occasional affirmation of how awesome and appreciated he truly is.

When David and I met, we were on the other side of the world and we were both spoken for. That was the beauty of it. There was absolutely nothing that spoke of a possible romance between the two of us. We had both just been cast as performers at the then newly-opened Universal Studios Theme Park in Osaka, Japan. He had left a girlfriend behind back at BYU in Provo, and I had a missionary in Brazil. Our first impressions of each other were... less then spectacular. I had already been at the new place for a day, and he had just flown in that morning. I had been informed of "another Mormon" and was very excited to meet him. To be honest? I was hoping for a temporary fling while my missionary was gone. However, when David and I met for the 1st time just outside the elevator of the 8th floor, where we both would be living for the next year, we wrote each other off almost immediately. I saw him as shy, boring, and incredibly behind on the fashion times. (mind you, he was still somewhat fresh from the mission field). He saw me as loud, intimidating, and somewhat obnoxious... which, I suppose, isn't too far from the truth. However, in spite of, or maybe because of these reservations, we became fast platonic friends. He was even called to be my home teacher, which was convenient since we lived 3 doors away.

To cut to the chase: After 4 months of pure best-friendship, David and I started dating (he and the other girl had mutually parted by this time). Our relationship had it's ups & downs. But, for the most part, it was the easiest, healthiest relationship I'd ever had.

But the purpose of this was not to tell you how we met (I know, "Could've fooled me!")

The purpose is to shout to the world how grateful I am for the sacrifices he's made for Malia & I. If you are a regular reader of this blog, then you are more then aware that I chose Mommyhood over what may've been a potentially successful career on the stage. Well, when David & I were dating, he had goals to be a successful film actor. I told him that until he changed his plans, we could not discuss getting married. (hey - I was looking out for my future offspring, ok?!)

The long & the short of it? David currently has a Physics Masters Degree with an emphasis in Acoustics and a BA in Japanese and he works for a scientific research company as an Engineer so that he can put bread on the table and so that I can stay home with Malia.

BO-RING!

And he does it because he is an incredible human being. He is selfless, thoughtful, generous, righteous, all those other things I find myself lacking in.... the "Yin to my Yang," so-to-speak.

This is for him.

David, I love you, admire you, and am grateful, every day, to God,
for the gift of you.
You are my greatest blessing....
aside from the ones we've created together.

5 comments:

Liz Johnson said...

Awwww cute!

Abby said...

Love it! Dave is awesome. (And so are YOU!)

So fun to think about "*!$# Yankees" and what a good show you guys put on!

Oh hey, did your Wicked CD make it back to you?? I mailed it some time ago...

Mike said...

You are two incredible people, the Lord surely had a reason for getting you together. Interesting to read how it all worked out, half way around the world. May He continue to bless you both.

Lesley said...

Those are some of the best pictures I have seen. What a sweet tribute!

Heidi said...

Honestly, your marriage gives me hope that someday I will find someone who balances me as well as you balance each other. Thank you for being my inspiration!