I decided not to go.
So many of you were incredibly encouraging and there was even the occasional ego boost (thanks for that). Up until Sunday morning, which was the day of the audition, I still had no idea what I was going to do. I was even trying to figure out how to schedule in signing in, then driving back for Church, then putting Malia down for a nap and preparing & popping food in the fridge for David & Malia for dinner, and then heading back, hoping by then they'd be through with Equity auditions and starting in on Non-Equity.
Here's the beauty of Sundays:
Going to Church, I sat through a fairly average testimony meeting. However, amid the droning on of "story-monies" & "lecture-monies," there was a certain girl; someone I didn't know (we've only been in the ward for 2 months... gimme a break). She bore her testimony about the blessing the Church has been in her life as a member (she's just shy of a year... a convert at age 19). That is something those of us who've been members all our life take for granted. I mean, I have never been without the gospel. My "rebellious" phase consisted of a 2 month period during a summer where I watched a few R-rated movies and said a couple of swear words beyond my normal few... scandalous, I know. But it wasn't even her appreciation of the Gospel so much as it was her simple attitude of gratitude in general.
I am grateful God has given me the talents that I have. And I am even more grateful I receive the occasional validation of those talents. But the brief happiness I get from praise, applause, and the rare monetary compensation is nothing compared to the quiet joy I feel when Malia says, "Miss you" when I was only gone for 45 seconds to use the bathroom. Or those moments when Malia is in bed and I bring out chocolate chip cookies for David and he gives me the first real smile I've seen since he came home from a grueling work day.
A simple attitude of gratitude... especially for the simple things in life.
I am, by no means, ever going to be a "star." I have to accept this, graciously... and be okay with this. And count my multitude of other blessings. Yes, admittedly, that "what if" will be lingering, probably for the rest of my life. And in another year or two, I'll face the same dilemma, over and over again. But, ultimately, it's about perspective. And I know Heavenly Father couldn't care less if I ever pursued my professional performing dreams again. But He will care big time if I was there the night Malia had the flu and needed her Mommy more then anything. Or the night that David comes home after one of those days when he's just had it, and needs his companion to buoy him up. If my nights were, instead, filled with adoring fans and adulating applause, then the people who I'm most important to would lose out... just so I could have a few months of "what I want."
I don't want that.
Admittedly, I'll probably be looking for another opportunity like this in a year or so, but at least now I have this blog to refer back to & remind myself. Hopefully it will suffice enough to succor the craving.
...PLUS, David & I were just extended a calling that would kill David off if I wasn't going to be there 100% to perform it with him...
16 comments:
Sometimes, you make me cry. Thanks for your blog. Thanks for your faith and perspective. I love you.
So, I know I'm kind of behind on commenting here, but I think you made the right choice by not going. It sounds like nothing has changed in your life that would allow you to make a different choice from the last time you auditioned... and there are many other talented women out there who would kill (literally) for the role.
So unless you aren't willing to say yes to it, no need in wasting the casting people's (and your own) time just for the opportunity to be wanted yet unattainable.
Good for you! I'm glad you feel good about it. I can totally see where you're coming from, and maybe the time will be right some other time. It's so nice to feel peace about decisions. :)
Great post and a great perspective. You're an amazing lady.
Great post, Tiffany. :-) You're amazing and I am happy that you made an incredible decision.
And what's with the last sentence... ???? :-)
Hey, I think you're a star :). Especially to your family. Good job!
Wow Tiffany. I don't think I've ever told you how very much I admire you... I truly do! Back at Wymount I was just insanely jealous (in a good sort of way) of all you could do and how well you do it. I'm proud of you for the good choices you make!
Tiffany-
You are a star to me too!!
You are very talented and beautiful. Malia and Dave (and all of us) love you to pieces!!
The best is yet to come :)
Ditto to what everyone else said! And yeah, that last sentence?
I am sure you did the right thing. Looking back, you wont regret it. Opportunities will come for you to share what you have and bless many people. I say that with knowledge of some of the good that you have already done.
I LOVE YOU!!! Way to go girl! I think that as long as you made the decision and actually made a choice, you won't have a lot of the "what if" factor. It's just letting things pass us by that end up with the "what if's". You are awesome!
Wow...you made a courageous decison. Did you by any chance watch the season premier of "Secret Life of a Soccer Mom" on TLC last night? Well, the stay-at-home mom got offered a position as a fashion designer and she took the job even with three little ones at home. It was sad to see her leave her kids even though she would be living her dreams. So I'm amazed at your tough decision to give up one of your dreams (for now). Besides, isn't motherhood the best dream? :)
You definitely have a way with words. Reading that just made me so glad that you chose the way you did. I know it must've been a very hard decision, but I think you're absolutely right, your family needs you and Malia will remember all of the fun times that she has with you AND Dave, together. :)
Hey lady...proud of you. Balancing being mommy/wife/career lady isn't for everyone...if you feel you can't then by all means do what your heart/the Spirit tells you to do. : ) It'll never be wrong. :) I love you! You'll always be Elphaba to me. :)
Awesome post, Tiffy!! I need to have that perspective, too, that what I'm doing (mommying) is really special.
And what's the new calling??!
Seriously--
When your kids are grown, you will still have "it" and be able to perform!
I can't believe I haven't been reading your blog regularly. I am going to link yours to mine. Thank you for your inspiration.
Post a Comment