It's amazing how some things in life never really phase us, and how some things blow us over harder then we could've imagined.
Today, as I was browsing through facebook and friends' blogs, I received some terrible news. A friend of mine who I knew at BYU, we'd had some classes in the MDT program together... and we bonded over similar reputations of lunacy... just went through an incredibly traumatizing experience.
We haven't "spoken" in a few years. But through mutual friends, pursuits, and the internet, we've still managed somewhat to stay in touch. She was always a very witty, talented, and spiritual girl. I admired her for her wisdom, her sense of humor, and her testimony. I like to think, maybe, we made each other laugh.
Earlier this week, her only little baby girl, (I don't want to name her or her child... simply out of respect for their current situation), choked on an apple while they were getting her into her carseat after Church. They tried the Heimlich, but were unsuccessful. This angel, only 6 months younger then my Malia, was then life-flighted to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake. There, they removed the bit of apple from her lung with surgery. Problem is, she hadn't been breathing for over 20 minutes.
Over the week, they dealt with the thought that she would most likely be very brain-damaged, if she lived at all. Yesterday, her phenomenal parents - my friend - her mother - had to make the difficult decision to take her off of life support. The little girl, not even 2-years-old, has returned to her Heavenly Father.
I am sharing this story for 2 reasons. The first is selfish. When I heard about this, I was completely thrown. I don't know exactly what it was that did it to me, but I have been nearly inconsolable for quite some time now (thank heavens Malia is napping). I've written my friend a few messages here & there on the internet. But, for some reason, it is tearing me up inside. I felt that, if maybe I blogged about it, I could get some of the "owie" out of my heart.
The second reason, is the more obvious one. Please pray for them. I know I have left her identity unanimous, but I felt that I shouldn't talk about who they were due to the fact that this is a very hard and sacred time for her and her family. But I know the Lord knows who I am talking about, so I still think you can pray for them. Pray for their hearts to be comforted. Pray for their lives to be filled with as much joy as possible... so that the sorrow can't consume them. Pray for their perspectives.
She is a phenomenal woman and is already demonstrating incredible faith against all odds. I don't doubt she will be able to get through this. But I still feel as if any little prayer could definitely help.
I'm going to go retrieve Malia from her nap now... and hold her as tight as possible.
8 comments:
I heard about this from another friend... it's terrible. I'm so sorry for her and her husband. They're in my prayers. :(
**Hugs**
Done and done. The Lord knows the anonymous, even if we don't.
I'm so sorry for their loss. They'll be in my prayers. I hope they're finding support through friends and family and ward members.
This type of thing terrifies me now.
Tiff-
I totally understand where you're coming from-I mean in the sense of being torn apart by it. I obviously don't have any children of my own, but it surprised me how deeply this tragedy affected me too. I was a mess the night I found out. Even though I felt at peace about her little girl, it was so hard for me to think of our dear friend's pain and loss in the situation.
Your prayers, however, are so very appreciated. I attended the funeral service today and they were so thankful for the prayers of others. They said they could feel how much people were praying for them and they were so grateful for that. So even being far away, the Lord allows us to help out others. At least that's how I feel when I know I can't do anything else but pray, and it's reassuring to know that we do help others in some tiny, but important measure.
Now I'm sad because I miss you too! I love you Tiff-Chan! I want to come see you guys. I have never been able to see your child when she was totally healthy, and she sounds and looks lovely!
But anyway, maybe Nathan and I can find a way down to CA this summer and meet up with everyone there.
Loves!
Ro-chan
Oh my gosh, that is so horrible. And the sort of freak accident that could happen to anyone at any time. I had to save both of my boys from choking before - they NEVER chewed their food properly as small children. It is one of THE scariest things. I'm so sorry to hear about that poor family. These are the times when all we can DO is pray for them and that the hope of our gospel knowledge can comfort their hearts.
Tiff,
I cried and cried when I found out, too! I can't imagine what they must be going through right now. It makes all the daily difficulties seem so trite. Hold that baby of yours close to you!
Laurel
Done. Prayers, even from strangers, can be very powerful.
Wow....that is shocking and devestating. It sure makes you thankful for your family.
On a happy note....I've missed checking blogs over the past few weeks and amazingly never noticed your pregnancy announcement! Congratulations!
Post a Comment